How do Customer Segments work?
As you continue running your business, we are constantly building your customer database for you automatically and segmenting those customers for you.
We have two categories of individuals that are added to your database:
- actual customers that have made at least one purchase with you; and
- newsletter signups/subscribers who are yet to make a purchase with you.
We collect your actual customer data in two ways:
- When you first sign up to Conversio, we do a full sync of your historic order and customer data; and
- As you then start processing new orders, we collect the details of your new customers too.
As for your newsletter signups/subscribers, there are multiple ways in which you can add subscribers to your database:
- Using one of our subscription forms to capture new signups;
- Manually adding individual emails to your customer lists;
- Bulk importing customer lists from other email software; or
- Using lead generation tools with which we have integrations (like Privy, Pixelpop or Optinmonster).
As time goes on, we will then monitor the purchasing behaviour of these customers/subscribers and update the customer segment to which they apply.
This is a list of default segments that we use in Conversio:
All Customers: This applies to all of your customers.
First-Time Buyers: Customers who have made exactly one purchase in your store.
Repeat Customers: Any customer that has made two or more purchases.
Active Repeat Customers: Customers who have made two or more purchases, and the time since their last order is less than the average repeat purchase time (for your store).
"At-Risk" Repeat Customers: Customers who have made two or more purchases, and the time since their last order is more than the average repeat purchase time (for your store), but less than 3X the average repeat purchase time.
"Inactive" Repeat Customers: Customers who have made two or more purchases, and the time since their last order is more than 3X the average repeat purchase time (for your store).
Potential Buyers: Potential Buyers are anyone without a purchase yet.
Note that this segment can only be targeted with Abandoned Carts emails. Because of anti-spam policies, it's not possible to target this segment with other emails, unless they subscribe to Newsletters, or complete a purchase.
Prospects: Prospects are the potential Buyers that are also subscribed to a list.
Custom Segments: You can create your own segments based on rules set manually. For more info, check this page.
Notes about segments:
1. You can use these segments when you are setting up any kind of email within Conversio.
2. Some of these segments are not available for all of the types of emails you can send. Here are a few exceptions:
- For receipts, we currently only distinguish between First-Time Buyers and Repeat Customers. More information here.
- The "Potential Customers" segment is only available for Abandoned Cart Emails. These prospective customers have not opted into receiving your other marketing communications, so you can only contact them about their abandoned shopping carts.
3. At any given stage, a customer or subscriber will only be available via one of these segments. No customer or subscriber can belong to multiple segments.